Thursday 3 February 2011

Computer-bothering

I like building computers, I like to write up the shopping list of parts and then spend the next month comparing each item against its peers, trying to find that sweetspot between price and performance. Once satisfied and ordered, then comes the building phase which, surprisingly, I like a lot as well. Who would have thought that cable management could be that fun, right?!

Clearly in need of a new power supply fan.
If price wasn't a concern, I think that to really milk the enjoyment, I would first buy a computer with crappy parts and then slowly swap out all the parts over the next coming months. But even though I've bought proper components from the beginning, I'm still fiddling and pondering and trying to share some of the fun with the wife. "Honey, wouldn't you agree that we need a new CPU fan"? Right now I feel that I need to replace the fan inside the power supply, since it really could be more quiet. I mentioned this to the wife and I got a blank stare in return, which I've realized over the years is her body language for saying "Yes"!

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I'm getting married in just over 5 weeks, so finding out now what the blank stare means is a great help. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure this is the ONLY possible translation of that blank stare!

    ReplyDelete