Wednesday 26 January 2011

Ribs. In the barbecue. For five hours.

I have a relationship with cooking, although I guess that most people do. But my interest is based on something I haven't really defined yet, so my solution is to drink beer while I ponder that question. What I do know is that I like barbecueing and that I'm slowly working my way up the ladder of great meat on the fire with even better results. I got my first proper grill (Weber OTP 22.5" for those in the know) last year and suddenly realized how I've been doing it wrong all those other years. Indirect is the answer and if you have a question, there are websites for that. Now we had some friends over for the weekend and I was told that one of them really liked ribs. Haha! I thought and did the following (although the pictures are from another occasion).

1. Clean up the ribs, remove excess fat and membranes to allow the rub to get into the meat. Proper pincers helps with the membranes and it's always cool to include your toolbox when cooking.
2. Do a mix of salt, black pepper, sugar, chili powder, dried garlic, bell pepper powder and Caynenne pepper and rub that into the meat.
3. Get the BBQ going with some Oak wood pieces among the charcoal, keep the temperature low around 120 degrees Celcius and on with the ribs, indirect heat. I'll do a post about this soon.


As can be seen, multilayer is the way to go. On with the lid and wait. Do not peek, just wait and keep the temperature steady.
4. After three hours, I slather the ribs with a mix of ketchup, honey and chili sauce and turn them over.
5. Another hour on and they are starting to get ready. Depending on the size of the ribs, they might need another hour but the tear test will help there. If the meat is easy to tear apart, serve and enjoy.


That redish colour around the edge is known as the smoke ring, and as the name implies, the more smoked the meat is the redder the ring around the edges.

So yes, ribs were served to our friends and yes, they were among the best ribs they've ever had. Mission accomplished.

1 comment:

  1. I love how subtle the recipe is nicely baked into the story! Nice one! xx

    Ami

    ReplyDelete